Yuba City, CA
Davey Resource Group created a UFMP that combined an inventory of the city’s trees and recommendations to strengthen their tree ordinance with a chance for Yuba City residents to engage with the planning process through a photo contest.
Davey Resource Group, Inc. (DRG) was selected by Yuba City to perform a complete inventory of all city-managed trees, create an Urban Forest Master Plan (UFMP), provide recommendations to strengthen the Tree Ordinance, and develop an interactive storymap of the urban forest. Yuba City was awarded a California Climate Investigations Program grant to assist with the completion of this work.
To further engage the community in the development of the UFMP and celebrate the importance of the urban forest, a community photo contest was held. Photo contest submissions were featured in the final UFMP and showcased the beauty and sense of place trees provide to Yuba City.
Stick With The Plan For A Healthy Urban Forest
The UFMP serves as a guide for the management and expansion of the urban forest and includes:
- Analysis of the composition, structure, and benefits provided by the community tree resource
- Assessment of land cover and tree canopy mapping, using high-resolution imagery
- Prioritization of tree planting sites to provide the most benefits for the community
- Alignment with community vision as defined by the Yuba City General Plan, Resource Efficiency Plan, and Sutter County Climate Action Plan
- Review of guiding documents as they relate to the urban forest, including tree protection policies, development and construction standards, and preservation requirements
- Examination of current urban forestry operations, including service levels and budgets for both in-house and contracted forestry staff
- Development of work plans to efficiently address the maintenance needs of all city-managed trees
- Summary of engagement with stakeholders and community members about urban forest policy and priorities
- Establishment of goals and objectives to advance the urban forestry program
- Suggested changes to the city’s tree ordinance based on industry standards and feedback received during the community engagement process
Special thanks to all participants in the Yuba City community photo contest for their photo submissions.