Patient interaction with gardens, parks, and natural areas can help human health. Trees, in particular, can improve respiratory health, lower urban temperatures, improve mental health, and provide restorative properties.
To promote the link between trees and health, the Arbor Day Foundation launched the Tree Campus Healthcare program with sponsorship by Davey Tree. The Tree Campus Healthcare program recognizes health institutions that commit to improving community wellness through tree planting, education, and community engagement.
In the spring of 2020, the Arbor Day Foundation recognized 16 hospitals across the United States as the first-ever Tree Campus Healthcare facilities, with 14 more working toward recognition. Recognized facilities are:
- UAB Hospital - Alabama
- Masonic Homes Kentucky - Kentucky
- UK Healthcare - Kentucky
- Perry Point Veterans Affair Medical Center - Maryland
- Spectrum Health Blodgett Hospital - Michigan
- Atrium Health Mercy - North Carolina
- Parkland Medical Center - New Hampshire
- Cleveland Clinic - Ohio
- The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center - Ohio
- Coatesville Veterans Affairs Medical Center - Pennsylvania
- Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center - Pennsylvania
- The Medical University of South Carolina - South Carolina
- CHRISTUS Mother Frances Hospital – Tyler - Texas
- Seattle Children’s Hospital - Washington
- Amery Hospital and Clinic - Wisconsin
- Westfields Hospital and Clinic - Wisconsin
The recognized facilities demonstrated their commitment to community trees and their impact on health through activities like distributing free trees to local residents and using trees to create therapeutic landscapes on campus. The facilities met five program standards as defined by the Arbor Day Foundation: forming an advisory committee, developing a tree care plan, participating in a community forestry project, sponsoring a celebration event or education campaign, and suggesting commitment to financial investment in tree projects, education events, and/or community outreach.
Applications for 2020 Tree Campus Healthcare recognition will be accepted in early September 2020. DRG is uniquely qualified to assist with applications, contact your local representative to learn more. Facilities in the U.S. delivering inpatient healthcare services are eligible for recognition. Visit www.treecampushealthcare.org to learn more.