Posted: July 6, 2015
Kent, Ohio – The unbridled beauty of the Cuyahoga River running through downtown Kent has overflowed onto a new mural at 295 S. Water St.
The Davey Tree Expert Company and the Smithers-Oasis Company, both long-time Kent companies and anchor tenants in the building, partnered with Fairmount Properties to install the mural in the ground floor lobby. Cleveland-area artist and Kent State University adjunct professor Tim Myrick created the water-color illustration, which depicts the changing scenes and history of the river as it runs south from Kent’s northern limits through downtown and past John Brown Tannery Park, where the infamous abolitionist once operated a tannery business.
The mural highlights how the city progressed with each historic adaptation of the river. Imagery and landmarks in the scene include Standing Rock, Brady’s Leap, The Star of the West Milling Co. grain elevators, the Silk Mill building, the Main Street Bridge, Stone Arch Dam, Brown’s tannery and the Erie Depot and Pufferbelly restaurant.
The mural is a reproduction of the original watercolor painting by Myrick onto a Soft Knit Fabric, which was framed and mounted on the wall. The mural stands over 8 feet tall and 30 feet wide.
A formal dedication of the mural will be held in the fall.
The Davey Tree Expert Company’s more than 8,000 employees provide tree care, grounds maintenance and environmental consulting services for the residential, utility, commercial and government markets throughout the U.S. and Canada. Davey has provided Proven Solutions for a Growing World since 1880 and has been employee-owned for 35 years. For more information, visit www.davey.com.