||Davey Resource Group
Davey Tree Expert Co. of Canada, Limited has been performing tree care and vegetation management services across Canada since 1930. With over 850 employees, we continuously pride ourselves on unmatched quality and safety. Davey Tree is the leading full-service tree care provider for residential, commercial, utility line clearing and forestry consulting throughout Canada. All crews are professionally trained to ensure the scope of our work is completed safely, and well before any deadlines.
Since 1930, Davey has been protecting and enhancing trees and urban forests in communities across Canada. Davey Resource Group (DRG), the consulting division of the Davey Tree Expert Co. of Canada, Limited, provides a comprehensive range of natural resource and utility consulting services to the commercial, residential, municipal and governmental markets. In Canada, our expertise and services encompass arboriculture and forestry, right-of-way vegetation management, ecology and wildlife, and asset management.
Position Overview – Utility Management Planner/Utility Forestry Technician
As a Utility Management Planner/Utility Forest Technician you will provide detailed vegetation management workloads and prescriptions for utility companies and develop work manifests that are issued to line clearance tree crews, helping to manage vegetation most efficiently along transmission and distribution right of way.
You will provide value and support to our client(s) through delivery of accurate work instruction and best practices providing cost effective ways for utility companies to address their vegetation management needs.
- Patrol and assess right-of-way vegetation with the intent of translating operational plans and prescriptions into GIS for field execution.
- Review and understand utility customer needs.
- Create vegetation management prescriptions and schedules for tree clearing, mechanical vegetation control, herbicide application and danger tree removals with the intent of increasing utility system reliability and vegetation program cost effectiveness.
- Compile the assessment information and plans into various computer devices and GIS systems for execution by vegetation control operations.
- Pre-operation coordination, including permitting, liaise with Governmental Agencies, Clients and Contractors, participate in negotiations, notify property owners of planned work.
- Complete site auditing and spot checks to verify work execution by tree service is being done as per management plan.
- Act as a point of contact for utility customers where work on right-of-way may be near their homes.
- Act as a forestry problem solver for the client to maintain safe and reliable power.
- Provide insight to stakeholders on the work to be done near their properties and answer any questions they have.
- University degree preferred in a forestry, environmental science or natural resource management or College diploma in related field.
- 3+ years’ experience in a related field such as arboriculture, vegetation management, forestry or utility line clearing.
- ISA Certified Arborist or Utility Tree Trimmer (UTT), Utility Tree Worker (UTW), Certified Utility Arborist (UA/CUA) preferred.
- Additional Certifications such as Utility Specialist, Tree Risk Assessment Qualification, Wildlife Danger Tree Assessor, Registered Professional Forester (RPF), or Pesticide Applicators License considered assets.
- Working knowledge of various forestry and utility aspects, including manual, mechanical and herbicide vegetation management.
- Comprehensive ability to identify vegetation, tree species, noxious weeds, danger trees and knowledge of plant growth rates.
- Basic understanding of transmission and distribution of hydroelectric power systems, utility network mapping
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work safely both independently and as part of a team and possess the willingness to learn and progress.
- Strong working knowledge of various hardware, software and technical equipment including Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), tablets, computers, GPS etc. Working knowledge of GIS applications considered a strong asset
- Valid First Aid, driver’s license, clean driving record and ability to travel throughout Canada for extended periods when required.
- Shift Rotations based on project but can include: 5 on 2 off, 10 on 4 off, 15 on 6 off.
- 10-hour days – opportunity for overtime
- Daily Per Diem
- Accommodations Fully Covered
- Travel required.
- Travel Time Covered
- Full time. Year-round employment.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Excellent Benefits package, RRSP and careers advancement opportunities.
- Employee owned company with stock purchase available after 1 year of service.
- Davey Tree Expert Co. of Canada, Limited is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Davey provides ongoing training.
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. As a service provider, our success depends upon our ability to attract and retain qualified personnel, regardless of their age, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics as established by federal, provincial law.