EASTERN U.S. BASED UTILITY
Since 2007, WSSI has been a trusted partner of an Eastern U.S. based utility for environmental compliance solutions.
The Eastern U.S. based utility wanted a highly-specialized environmental compliance partner whose experience and background equipped them to navigate the challenges of regional regulations efficiently.
The utility has partnered with Wetlands Studies and Solutions, Inc. (WSSI), a Davey Company, for a variety of environmental projects in Virginia and North Carolina, including:
- Stormwater Permitting and Compliance: WSSI provides environmental compliance inspections and monitoring for numerous utility transmission and substation construction projects across the Commonwealth and into North Carolina. The work includes inspections as required by each project’s Virginia Pollution Discharge Elimination System (VPDES) permit or North Carolina’s General Permit for Construction Activities. The permits require routine inspections of project erosion and sediment controls and inspection of required Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP). WSSI staff continually work with utility staff and their subcontractors from initial site access installation to final site rehabilitation to ensure permit compliance. The utility has also worked with WSSI on the stormwater management plans for a pipeline project under intense public scrutiny.
- Natural Resource Investigations: WSSI has delineated streams and wetlands and completed vegetation inventories for the utility. WSSI has also studied submerged aquatic vegetation in local rivers and surveyed and relocated mussels to support environmental compliance for this utility’s pipelines.
- Clean Water Act Permitting: WSSI has obtained needed permits on the utility’s behalf.
- Stormwater Facility Maintenance: WSSI works with the utility to ensure that stormwater management BMPs are functioning and in compliance with local and state regulations. Our work includes vegetation management, channel stabilization, inlet repair, and bank stabilization as well as coordination with local regulators.
- Cultural Resources: WSSI’s archeology division has completed Phase I Archaeological studies for the utility; portions of some of the study areas also required military site (metal detecting) surveys due to their proximity to significant Civil War sites.
WSSI continues to support the utility with natural resource investigations, permitting, and environmental compliance projects.