The Town of Leesburg, Va., is experiencing rapid population growth and commercial and residential development. This growth has resulted in an estimated 71 percent reduction in the town's tree canopy.
This significant finding motivated the Leesburg Tree Commission to request assistance from Davey Resource Group (DRG) to help the Town recover and protect Leesburg's tree canopy by establishing an Urban Forestry Master Management Plan.
DRG's senior urban foresters and environmental planners performed extensive field research, conducted interviews, reviewed public documents and held community meetings to gather the information for the comprehensive master management plan.
DRG's master management plan discussed and made recommendations specifically related to:
- Tree Planting and Increased Canopy Cover
- Improved Ordinances and Policies
- Improved Organizational Structure and Funding
- Improved Public Tree Maintenance, Expanded Education and Public Relations
Urban Forestry Master Management Plan Goals:
- Provide strategies, goals, policies, standards, and actions to protect, enhance, expand and preserve the tree canopy for the benefit of the community.
- Coordinate and improve town tree management in an equitable, economic and sustainable manner.
- Provide a valuable strategic planning tool that serves as a roadmap in recovering the loss of tree canopy and becomes a part of the Town Plan.
For more information or to request a consultation, contact us by using the form below.